Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Taking the Time To Teach

As a parent, I've learned I'm always "on" - always teaching.

Something interesting to try...Instead of banning little, incredibly interesting bits of fun (such as dice, marbles, legos, magnets, game pieces, and everything else wonderful and colorful and exciting) why not take the time to explore them together, with your toddler...?

My experience is that if something is discovered and experienced with direction, it is more likely to be handled correctly, later on.

In Charlie's case, I've noticed that he almost goes into a trancelike state (I'm not exaggerating, its comically noticeable to others too!) when anyone starts explaining most any kind of concept to him - it could be anything from the benefits of not stepping in cow-poo at our nearby peice of property, to what something is used for, to just about anything, if it accompanies an explanation. He loves it, for some reason...so hey, I go with it...!

So, the other day he had a huge time playing with big brother's marble collection.



Just a measuring spoon for scooping and pouring - and our voices, talking about how fun it is to scoop marbles with our hands, rub a big pile of them under our hands and feet, dumping them out of the box, look through them when light shines through them, whatever else comes up! Just take the time to sit and explore with them - it can actually be a relaxing few minutes out of your busy day, and I figure, the more he can count on me to explore and learn with him now, the more open he'll be to instruction from me, later on down the road...(don't know if that's true or not, but it sounds like a good theory, doesn't it?! Hah!)

No comments: