Friday, May 2, 2008

Toddler Watercolor Fun

When they get bored with the sprinkler or the kiddie pool,
and especially if your toddler comes with an artistic bone,
let them go to town with watercolors (Crayola makes the "big" kind) on the driveway.
I haven't tried that yet, but my friend Lynnell lets her kiddos watercolor right on the cement.

When I had Sean and Sydney (my neighbors kiddos, whom I babysit for sometimes)
over this last week, I dragged out a few clear Rubbermaid bins and filled them with water. With food coloring, I tinted each kid's bin a different color (their choice), and because the bins were see-through, we first enjoyed watching the colors swirl and blend together. Don't forget to talk about and "observe out loud" how 2 colors can blend together and make a new color! Sean (age 4) - our official stirrer - went to town and helped me get purple just right for Sydney and green just right for Charlie.

Next time I'll go to Sam's room and drag out the big chalkboard easel. This time, I added a bunch of old paintbrushes (the big cheap ones you can pick up in the hardware/paint section of Walmart) and some spray bottles and let me tell you, three kids had a grand ole time on the driveway while I basked in the sun and got a little sundamage!

No comments: